Palm Avenue Detox
2251 Palm Avenue
San Mateo, CA 94403
Fax: (650) 345-7023
Palm Avenue, a Social Model Detoxification Program, is a 15-bed facility serving men and women in San Mateo County who have a co-occurring substance use and mental health disorders. The majority of those admitted stay from 3 to 5 days. They may remain longer if their condition warrants it.
Experience has shown that 95% of the persons admitted to a Social Model Detoxification Program can withdraw from the effects of alcohol and drugs without immediate medication or medical intervention. If staff assesses that a client is in need of medical evaluation the client is referred to medical Services.
The program has two primary goals:
1. To provide a safe, homelike and supportive atmosphere for persons withdrawing from the effects of alcohol and other drugs.
2. To provide information and referrals to a continuum of recovery services in the community.
Palm Avenue provides a 24 hour crisis/information phone line for all persons whose lives are affected by alcohol and other drug related problems and for those with co-occurring substance use and mental health disorders.
Clients who wish only to Detox and not be referred into a Treatment Program are accepted, as well as clients who wish to move on in the continuum of recovery services available within the community.
A person may not be admitted for the following reasons:
1. Behavior that is dangerous to staff or other residents.
2. Having a need for professional nursing care.
3. Having a need for restraint.
4. Having a need for immediate medical care or evaluation.
Palm Avenue staff will evaluate whether the client is appropriate to be admitted. The initial assessment is always made through a telephone screening. A client must always telephone first for this pre-screening assessment. All admissions are voluntary and no one is denied admission for failure to establish a pattern of sobriety.